Who are we?
This website is run by GWL Publishing, whose offices are located at Forum House, Stirling Road, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19 7DN, United Kingdom.
You may contact us via email at email@example.com.
How we collect and use your personal information
Any information we collect or hold about you will be treated in strictest confidence and held securely on our office server or on our agents’ servers in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation).
- Manuscript submissions
If you are sending us a manuscript submission, you will be asked to supply contact details, such as your name, e-mail address and telephone number. We will use these details to contact you regarding your submission, and for no other purpose. If you are unsuccessful, we will delete your submission from our records within 24 hours of informing you. If you are successful, a contract will be issued to you. (See our legal basis for using your personal information and data).
- Administrative matters
If you have contact us to ask a question about a product or service, we will send you an email in response.
- Focus groups and questionnaires
It is sometimes extremely helpful to know what readers and potential readers think about a new cover design, a new book idea or a plan to revise an existing book. If you have consented, we would like to be able to ask you questions about subjects we believe to be of interest to you.
- Feedback, suggestions, opinions
If you have consented, we may ask you for your suggestions and opinions and provide you with a link for emailing us your response. We will only use the email address we receive from you for the purpose of responding to your questions or suggestions.
You can only register to use our site or submit a manuscript if you are over the age of majority in the country in which you reside. That means that we do not knowingly collect any information about (or market to) children, minors or anyone under the age of majority unless their parent or legal guardian has consented.
If we become aware that a child, minor or anyone under the age of majority has registered with us and provided us with personal information without parental or guardian consent, we will take steps to terminate that person’s account and delete their profile information from our site. If we do delete an account because they violated our age restriction rules, we may retain their email and IP address to ensure that they do not try to get around our rules by creating a new account.
Our legal basis for using your personal information and data
The legal bases on which we rely to use your information are:
- To allow us to exercise our legitimate interests as a data controller: we rely on our legitimate interests as a data controller to process the personal information that you provide to us on contact or submission forms on our website. It is in our legitimate interests as a business to process the above information in order to administer our business, and to ensure that content from our website is presented to you effectively and securely.
- Where we have obtained your consent: we may provide you with certain marketing information about services or products where you have provided your explicit consent for us to do so.
Disclosure of personal information and your rights
We will only disclose your personal information to:
- our business partners and our suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you. Any information GWL Publishing holds about you will be treated in strictest confidence and held securely on our server or our agents’ servers in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not divulge any of your details to any third party without your permission, except when it is necessary for us to satisfy a request made by you;
- our third-party service providers in order to identify or resolve technical problems arising from the use of the website; and
- our regulators, law enforcement or fraud prevention agencies, as well as our legal advisers, courts and any other authorised bodies, for the purposes of investigating any actual or suspected criminal activity, enforcing our rights or other regulatory or legal matters.
- We may provide you with certain marketing information about services or products where you have provided your explicit consent for us to do so. Please note that we will use your personal information in order to provide certain marketing information for the same or similar services you have previously used.
- If you register to be sent information about our authors, books or events we will ask you for some personal information (name and email address) in order to provide you with the service you are requesting. As noted above, you may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send.
- If you wish to opt out of receiving marketing communications from GWL Publishing you can do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ button and following the instructions. Please note that if you have signed up for several different lists you will have to remove yourself from each one individually.
Analysis of site visits
We may want to use information collected anonymously about the number of visitors entering our website and where they go within it. We will do this in order to find out whether the structure or content of the site needs amendment, whether we should develop additional titles on certain subjects or reprint certain titles sooner than others. To the best of our knowledge none of this information will be personally identifiable, but if we inadvertently acquired personal information, we would never divulge it to a third party.
We use traffic-log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web-page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis.
Overall, cookies help us provide a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other sites that are not under our control, even though they may use the GWL Publishing name or logo on their website, through an agreement with us. Such other websites do not necessarily follow our privacy policies, and may place their own cookies on your computer.
This practice is standard on the Internet. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for those policies.
Security of private information
It is impossible for GWL Publishing completely to guarantee the security of any transmission of information via the Internet. Although we will do our very best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorised access.
Please note that where we provide you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to gain access to certain parts of the website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. Please do not share a password with anyone.
We make no undertaking or warranty about how or where your data may be stored by third parties with whom you may choose to engage via our website, and to whom you may supply personal data, or request that we supply personal data.
Storage and retention
Where GWL Publishing collect and store personal data it will be held on servers located within the European Economic Area (EEA). We do not transfer your personal data outside the EEA. Any personal data stored on hard copy will be securely held at the office and will not be taken out of the building.
We will retain information about you for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the information was collected. After that, we will delete it.
The retention period may vary depending on the purposes for which the information was collected. Where a specific legal or regulatory requirement applies to your information we will retain it for the period of time specified in such legal or regulatory requirement. In the absence of a specific legal or regulatory requirement we will retain your information for six years following the event to which it relates (e.g. the specific sale, the specific competition, etc.). We may be required to extend the retention period if the information is required due a complaint or because it is required for litigation. Please also note that we are sometimes legally obliged to retain the information, for example for tax and accounting purposes.
Your rights regarding your personal information
You have certain rights in relation to your personal information that is processed by us. We set out an overview of these rights below. These rights are not absolute and apply subject to certain conditions, as set out in applicable data protection laws. Your rights may include:
- the right to obtain access to personal data held by us about you;
- the right to require us to rectify any inaccurate personal data held by us about you;
- in certain circumstances, the right to require us to erase personal data held by us about you;
- in certain circumstances, the right to restrict our processing of personal data held by us about you;
- in certain circumstances, a right to receive personal data which you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may also have the right to require us to transfer this personal data to another organisation, at your request;
- the right to object to our processing of personal data held by us about you (including for the purposes of sending marketing materials to you); and
- the right to withdraw your consent, where we are relying on it to use your personal data (for example, to provide you with marketing information about our services and products).
You can exercise these rights by emailing us at email@example.com
Contacting the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Should you wish to make a complaint, you may also contact the Information Commissioner’s Office here.
Changes in policy
If we change our policy, we will indicate the changes on this page so you are always aware of the rules we follow in safeguarding personal information.
Queries and concerns
This policy was last updated on 25th May, 2018.